6.04.2010

Got Memories?

How do you handle all the good ol' fashion stuff that travels home in the backpacks throughout the year? 
Here is a little glimpse of what came home with our girls the last day of school alone. 

 I love saving all of those precious memories but keeping them organized can be quite an undertaking.  A while back I started two memory boxes for the girls.  One box they keep under their beds. 
Those are filled with things they want to save and things they think are important. You'll find anything from deflated birthday balloons to notes from friends hiding in those boxes. 
The other memory box sits on a shelf in my closet.  
This is where I keep the memories that are important to me 
and tell a story of where they were in their lives that year.  

Although there are a lot of school memories in there, I include other items that helped to tell the story as well.  Things like a poem, a drawing or even a birthday list.  To try and keep some type of order, I have divided the memories by school year and store them in a large manila envelope. 

The girls love to look through these boxes, and with the memories divided by year, it is easy to take out one at a time and then get everything back neatly before opening another envelope. 
 I love this system..I just think I need bigger boxes!!:)
Any great memory storing ideas?

6 comments:

  1. great ideas! so organized! i feel like such a mess in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas... I wsh I was so organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Thought I'd check yours out and I'm so glad I did! I'll definitely be back!
    I love this idea by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for introducing yourself on my blog today! Glad you found me! :) Love your organization...you'll be so happy you started this. I FINALLY (now that I have a 7th, 5th, and 2 kindergarteners) am doing something very similar. I have a magazine file holder in my office area for each of them. During the year their things go in there that are special to me.
    LOVE your dinner too.. :)
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Wish I was more organized! Although I do have all their things in plastic containers and i've gotten better about what to save cause I wanted to save like everything. Love the envelopes that's a good idea!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the same thing Cindy (minus the cute clipart on the front of your tubs....now I have to do something cute too...I'll add that to my growing list!) except I use a new tub every year...I just have a hard time getting rid of school things...do you keep all school things or just special stuff?

    ReplyDelete