12.08.2010

{8 and a Half}

Little Miss Riley turned 8 and a half yesterday!!
What a fun snowy, Christmasy half birthday
It's funny because I remember my first Christmas as a mom so clearly
there is a Christmas song by John Denver (HUGE fan)
and when our CD player finds it on shuffle mode it instantly
brings me back
and still makes me teary.

Riley and I took our date on Sunday
a bit early
but that's ok
We went to one of our very favorite places
Borders!
We got some of their delicious hot chocolate
a snickerdoodle cookie
and had a lovely time.
We chatted, people watched
and of course browsed for books.
It was wonderful.
When did this little girl grow up so fast?



We started the big day with a huge miscommunication blunder
It went something like this.....
"Where are the cookies you made for my class....?"
"You wanted me to make cookies for your class?"
"Well, yeah, we always celebrate my half birthday in school since I'm a summer birthday".
"Mrs. M didn't mention half birthday this year...."

"It's ok mom....don't worry about it"
Tears
Sniff Sniff

GUILT!!!

So, my quiet morning with Aubrey turned into a mad cookie baking scramble.
But it's ok, she's worth it!

We kept our tradition and gave Riley a book.
She is so into these American Girl books
and I love the way they are written.

You can tell that Janey was very proud of her homemade card
and truly happy for her sister.
She knows how much she wanted that book.
{Aubrey is already sleeping....but she was there in spirit!}

This was funny...
right before this picture Janey said, "great she's gonna have her nose buried in a book now!"
And she pretty much did!
Give that girl any form of the printed word and she is lost.

Here are the famous cookies
You can tell they are a little light on the frosting.
Must have used too much on the school ones!

They are chocolate sugar cookies with mini M&M's baked inside.
They are seriously the most awesome cookies!!
For Christmas we bake them again and just use the red and green ones
Let me know if you want the recipe.

a little happy there while we sang
"Happy Half Birthday To You"!
she added in the "cha cha cha's" 
of course

Janey was very concerned that we couldn't put candles in the cookie
so we improvised
see the half one



see there goes that book
 she's gone :)

I think Janey enjoyed the cookies
What do you think?
She is a chocolate lover like her momma



Happy Half Birthday My Sweet
I hope you feel how much we love you!

11 comments:

  1. I did the exact same thing to Ben when he was about that age--guilt from forgetting!
    And I wish I had a picture of my sister Karen when she was that age. They are identical. So cute.

    Thanks for your comment on the control issue. I know exactly how you feel, and this mom thing is way harder than anyone ever told me. Agreed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES PLEASE, I do want that cookie recipe - asap, yum!! You probably remember from when we first met back at birthday time, my little ladybug's half birthday is TODAY (9 1/2!) ... yay for our gemini girls!!

    Got your link @ calico critters - it worked liek a charm! Thank you so much for the tip - we have LOVED those little critters and have a few of the "families", anything tiny is big hit in our book (littlest pet shop for example!) ...

    And, btw, the American Girl book collection will CONTINUE to impress you for years ... my big ladybug often refers to their middle school series ("A Smart Girls' Guide to ...") ... so if you ever want a book review, just ask - b/c I've got my big bug (6th grade), we're probably just a smidge ahead in the series and I'd love to help if you ever need help navigating those books :-)

    Have a great day, Cindy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look delicious! Isn't it just crazy how fast they seem to grow up? 8 is such a fun age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun tradition for your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! As you know we are big fans of American girl and we enjoy the books as well!
    Have a great evening!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Half Birthday! Your pictures are looking goood. Someone is getting comfy with her new camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Riley, nice pictures, and the cookie looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of your pictures! Happy half birthday to your daughter. Anna turns 7 1/2 on Friday. I love the idea of a mommy date that day. Great idea for sure! You have such a cozy looking house too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also love that cookie recipe. Yum.

    Happy half birthday to her! What a fun evening it looks like she had. I've said this before, but your family is so sweet and precious. I love how you celebrate so many things and I can see the love and happiness in your girls' eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 1/2 birthday to Riley!

    Your pictures are lookin' good Cindy!

    And, you know I would LOVE the recipe! Thanks!

    Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 1/2 birthday to Riley!

    Your pictures are lookin' good Cindy!

    And, you know I would LOVE the recipe! Thanks!

    Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete